Montag, 18. September 2017

5. Brake ducts

I decided to make some brake ducts. The holes right and left on the front are ideal for this. On other Mantulas I have seen, that they install additionaly lamps - but I do not need them.

I want to use the complete opening for a duct to feed as much as possilbe air to the brakes.

This is the finished result:

From the beginning:
The wooden block fixes the tube to the body. It can be used for left and right duct. It is important to have both sides equal - optics!


Ad layers of Styrodur, a stiff foam, and glue them together. Use a cutter and a rasp and a lot of feeling, time and try and you get to a very close fitting form.

Cover the form with filler.
The filler shall be min. 2mm thick to be strong enough. This will take a lot of time. On the second duct I only need 7 times filler... perfect.

It shall look like this: smooth and fitting. Don´t look at the green spots - I am not perfect...

Then the form, the tube and the inside of the front have to be covered with wax and release agent generously. Now 2 layers of GRP have to be added inside of the car. Only two cause it is easier to remove if it is a little bit flexible. More laers will be added outside of the car. I used 4-5 layers of 160gr. glass fabric type twill. At the end of the tube 2 or 3 more to make it stiff.
A, a hint: Cut the platic tube along the long side and fix it again with a tape. You can remove it much more easy then...

After it is hard, trim it an it will fit perfect.

As teh front is flipping I need a coupling. A bend pice of alu is the solution I go for...

This is the first test mounting. The tube on the top brings fresh air in the interior. A little bit of the air is for the driver.
I tried to add a duct at the disk as well, but the huge steering angle doesn´t allow it. No chance. So I only blow air on the disks.